Cocoa is a very valuable product. For the first time, it was used by ancient Aztecs. The legends of this people tell of a wizard gardener who learned how to make a drink from the fruits of a chocolate tree, which gave him immortality.
Oil was introduced into cosmetic, pharmaceutical, perfumery and confectionery production. They use oil for hair and skin, add it to medicinal ointments and candles. The product is the basis of chocolate – every year one chocolate tree gives 4-5 sweet bars.
What is it?
Butter is obtained by extracting fat from grated cocoa fruits. At room temperature, cocoa butter is hard and brittle, light yellow (the rancid product becomes white). Softened by contact with human skin. In the melted state it is a transparent liquid from light yellow to brown. Smells like cocoa powder.
Benefit and composition
Cocoa butter contains a lot of healthy fatty acids for hair:
- Olein oil. Relieves irritation of the scalp, restores the structure of hair and gives the curls shine;
- Stearinova. Improves the protective properties of hair ultraviolet, wind and frost;
- Palmitinova. Keeps moisture in the curls;
- Linolevoy. Soothes the scalp.
- Vitamin E. Accelerates healing of the skin, protects the roots of hair from oxygen starvation, participates in the production of collagen and keratin – proteins;
- Vitamin K. Participates in cell respiration accelerates healing of wounds.
The only contraindication to the external use of the product – allergy to the product.
First of all, cocoa butter is good for the following hair problems:
- Damaged structure;
Additional problems to be solved are dullness, slow growth and hair loss. Cocoa bean oil is used for dandruff and dry seborrhea. The undoubted bonus in the use of the product will be a pleasant smell of chocolate.
Home recipes for hair with cocoa butter
Features of the application:
- The oil must be melted and heated to 40 °C before use. It is better in a water bath, as it is easy to overheat in the microwave, which makes the fat lose its valuable properties;
- After applying cocoa butter to your hair, immediately cover your head with polyethene and a towel. If the oil has cooled down, heat the head with a hair dryer for 1-2 minutes straight through the towel;
- Washing off the oil mask is difficult. It is better to rinse the mask at a temperature of 36-40 oÑ with repeated use of shampoo.
Cocoa butter can be used not only as a part of the hair masks but also as a complete product. Cocoa butter can be rubbed into the scalp by rubbing the roots of the hair particularly hard.
This procedure is necessary to prevent hair loss and, consequently, strengthen the roots. Keep the oil on your head for 40-60 minutes, and then rinse it off with shampoo.
It can also be used in liquid form:
- Rastopit 10-15 g of fat;
- Cocoa butter should be applied to the hair before washing, rubbed into the roots and spread over the curls with a rare comb;
- Warm the head;
- Hold for 20 minutes;
- Rinse with plenty of shampoos.
This application will not only make the hair strong but also manageable, silky and shiny.
Hair masks with cocoa butter have a complex of healing properties and have a healing effect, which depends directly on the ingredients that make up them. It should be understood that two different people one and the same remedy can help in different ways, or may not help at all.
Prescription 1: Mask for fine and weak hair
Moisturised and fortified hair with a Masks shine.
- 2 tbsp. cocoa butter;
- Vitamin E and A (in oil solution) – 5 drops each;
- Orange oil – 3 drops.
Melt fat, mix with vitamins and essential oil solutions.
How to use it:
Apply to the unwashed head, fingers rub the product into the scalp and soak them in curls. Insulate and leave for 2 hours. Wash with shampoo and use a strengthening balm.
Number of procedures in the course: from 12 to 14. Frequency of use: 1-2 times a week.
Prescription 2: Hair mask after dyeing
Softened, smooth and shiny hair rods with restored structure.
- 1 tbsp. cocoa butter;
- 1 tbsp. burdock root oil;
- 1 tbsp kefir;
- 1 chicken yolk.
Put the oil of burdock and cocoa in the container, heat it in a water bath. Pour in the yolk, kefir and stir again.
How to use it:
Apply the mask with cocoa butter to unwashed hair, rubbing into the skin with massage movements. Insulate and leave for 60-90 minutes. Wash with shampoo and softening the balm.
A number of procedures in the course: from 12 to 16. Frequency: 1-3 times a week.
Buying and storing oil
Cocoa butter cannot be prepared at home. But you can buy it at a pharmacy, soap shop or cosmetics store, or order it from an online store. When buying, pay attention to:
- Degree of product recycling. If the fat has not been processed, it is unrefined. It has a dark colour and a pleasant smell of chocolate. The refined fat is colorless with a light cocoa flavor. As a result of additional processing it lost its useful properties;
- Packaging. There should be no fatty leaks on it, which indicate incorrect storage of the product;
- Cost. The average price of natural cocoa butter for 100 g is 250 rubles. If it is much lower, then you are likely to see a fake – a mixture of soya, palm and rapeseed fat. It is impossible to tell the difference in appearance;
- Familiarity of the brand. Give preference to trusted manufacturers who have already earned a positive reputation. These are Medicomed (Russia), Cococare (America), Royal Forest (Russia) and others.
Store cocoa butter at a temperature not exceeding 20 oC in a dark place for up to 3 years. The ideal place is a refrigerator where the oil is stored for up to 5 years.
Cocoa butter is able to give hair a healthy natural shine, make it obedient and silky. And most importantly, it strengthens them, preventing loss, nourishes and moisturizes, making curls a real female jewelry.